Website Building 101 with Bootstrap
Recently I have been working in HTML with Bootstrap. Bootstrap is a simple framework, yet crazy powerful tool for building websites. To be 100% honest with you I enjoy using it more than WordPress these days. I find it much easier to use, and I don’t have to worry about plugins needing to be updated every other day, or people hacking into a database.
- The best part about this whole thing is the lack of a Database. I enjoy using WordPress, don’t get me wrong, but the whole database side of things is crazy to me. What if the site got big, I would need to hire someone to manage the day to day with the Database just so I could sleep at night.
- The lack of needed to find a theme I like, and then try to rip it apart is really nice. The bootstrap framework really always me to just go. Most of the time can find a simple shell of a site online with the layout I want, and I am talking bare bones, like placement, not even colors. The from there I just let the mind take over and do the rest.
- Since I am writing everything in PHP, with some MySQL in the background if I need it, for example with the site http://mebpaa.com, everything just flows nicely. I don’t need to find someone who has a similar need for a plugin that I do, and then sort through the 5000 copies that the plugin has. Half of them are probably tracking your data.
- Since I am coding everything by hand it takes a lot longer to get a site up and running. Mostly because I have to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start coding anything. This means getting the Header, Footer, and NavBar all setup before I do anything.
- Running a Blog on this Framework is a pain in the butt, which is why currently I don’t do it. You have to code each page by hand, unless you want to make your own WordPress clone, which again goes back to the issue of running your own database and having to learn that, plus the integration into it. Just not my cup of tea
I will keep pushing myself to learn this, and have even started coding peoples websites with this Framework. Along with the Mebpaa Site…http://nutritionforhealthylivingllc.com/ is also running Bootstrap.
Upcoming Sites I AM Working On:
AS Auto Body: http://chucklindblom.com/chris